Social Media is all around us. I think I cannot go through the day without seeing or interacting with something that is related to Social Media. All of this started to make me think, what forms of Social Media do I interact with each day. I sat down and tried to think about a typical day for me and I decided to write down all of the different forms of Social Media I use each day, and how I use them.
So here it goes, my day in Social Media:
- Google Alerts – I have several alerts that I have delivered directly to my email each day. I use this to primarily deliver email updates from all of my competitors in the Online Dating space. This helps save time on researching and following what all of my competitors are doing. IN addition I use this to research other new developments in the Online Dating Industry.
- Netvibes and RSS – Each morning when I open up my web browser I have the start page as Netvibes.com. This site allows me to pull in daily tech news, as well as gather RSS feeds from some of the blogs that I try and skim each day. Netvibes also allows me to organize all of notes and to do lists as well as an added bonus. I use this as my daily dashboard to keep track of things i am trying to accomplish.
- Blogs - I have a coupe of blogs that I try and look at each day. I read these because of both the content as well as the delivery of the content. I read blogs from a variety of different industries and focus areas.
In addition to reading other blogs each day I am also using blogs to try and reach out to others as well. I have learned a great deal of things from people in my 14 years of experience in the Internet, and like to share that knowledge with others as well. I am a big believer in Karma, and feel if I can give back to others, that I will gain something later in life as well.
- Flickr - I look at Flickr updates from my friends to see what new pictures all of my friends have uploaded. In addition I use this to search for images for blog entries, as well as research ideas for presentations.
- Slideshare - This site is great for research and presentation topics and ideas. I am working on several presentations, and will e uploading all of my presentations here as well. See the good Karma comment from the blog bullet point above.
- Facebook - I have been very addicted to this site recently, am able to stay in touch with friends and coworkers. I am building groups on this site, and have also joined various causes and group on this site as well. In my opinion they are the big boys for Social Networking sites.
- Linkedin - I check updates on this site whenever get a new post. I am constantly using my connections on this site either for my own business needs, or to help others in connecting them with the right people. This is the MUST HAVE network for business professionals.
- Ning - The Ning Social Community platform is a great tool. I belong to several network communities that are all built off of this site. I also have begun the process of building out several of my own communities as well using this platform. I am either checking a community site, or working on one of my sites each and everyday.
- Meetup - If you have not ever been onto the Meetup site you really need to go and take a look at the site. The goal of this site is to help people socialize offline based on common interest and geographic location. I am currently running 3 different groups on this site all focused around Dining and eating out with good people. This goes hand and hand with the dating website Loovya www.loovya.com. These sites are very social by nature, and extremely easy to use.
- Delicious - I use this site to bookmark and aggregate all of my bookmarks, and keep track of items I will use for research or read for later.
- Twitter - WOW What more can I say about this micro-bogging tool. have been turned onto this recently and am equally addicted to this as I am to Facebook. Twitter is open on my desktop all of the time, and I use this to read and follow several conversations at the same time. use this to gather research, and to stay in touch with my friends. I think this is a more useful tool then when I first started to use instant messenger. Everyone should be on Twitter it is so useful.
I am sure there are other things that I use on a daily basis that I am leaing out, but this list pretty much captures my daily Social Media arsenal of tools and sites. I use these tools everyday, and I cannot imagine not using them to get through my day.
So now it is your turn. What tools are you using each day and why are they important to you to use each day? I would love to hear from you and see if there are some undiscovered tools that I should look at, or if youare equally addicted to Social Media.